New protocol submissions to COUHES after January 21, 2019 are subject to the Revised Common Rule, also known as the New Rule, and must fulfill the requirements outlined under the New Rule.
Investigators with existing protocols approved prior to the effective date must follow the policy outlined under the Old Rule section unless otherwise directed by COUHES.
New Rule: This page has been updated to reflect the New Rule effective January 21, 2019.
Old Rule: For existing protocols approved prior to January 21, 2019, follow the policies outlined on the Old Rule section.
If a study you are conducting includes procedures and/or populations that are listed in the menus below, click on appropriate items to view corresponding guidelines for protecting the rights of human subjects.
- Oral History Activities
- Private Data, Human Specimens and Cells
- Data Protection
- Data Sharing
- Research involving deception
- Research that may affect privacy of healthcare information
- Mechanical Turk
- Electronic Consent
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Students as subjects
- Subjects with limited comprehension
- Subjects with limited ability to read, hear, or see
- Non-English speakers
- Other vulnerable subjects
- MRI and Pregnancy
Resources for conducting research involving human subjects